Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sandwiches

Monday night we made sandwiches. The story is that the Earl of Sandwich needed a fast way to serve luncheon meat to gamblers without making them leave the table.
We split up the work by the whole class tonight - we did not have very many people in class. Lots of people had flooding damage from the weekend, and some people took the night off.

I made the braised sauerkraut for the Reuben sandwiches. I did a good job! Mince some onions, then saute in bacon fat over low heat. Add the sauerkraut, sugar, stock, salt and pepper. Simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed.

To make a Reuben, butter each slice of rye bread. spread each piece with Thousand Island, lay the slices butter side down on a sheet pan and top with a slice of Swiss cheese. Place two oz of corned beef brisket, sliced thin, on each bread slice. Top sandwich halves with 2 oz sauerkraut. Toast both sides in a skillet.

We also made Turkey Club Sandwiches. Use either white or wheat Pullman bread (named after the Pullman tain car). Toast the bread. Spread mayo on each slice. Arrange lettuce, tomato, and bacon on one slice of toast. Top with a slice of bread, and arrange turkey and 1 piece of lettuce. Top with the last piece of bread. Place frill picks on all four sides. Cut diagonally into four pieces. Plate triangle up, with french fries in the center.
Thousand Island Dressing:
whisk red wine vinegar, sugar, mayo, ketchup, chopped pickles, chopped hard-cooked egg, chopped parsley, salt and pepper, and worcestershire.
I got my quiz back. 20 out of 40. ouch. well, that's not really surprising since I didn't know about it and he wouldn't give me time to review my notes. Good. Times.
Lessons Learned:
Reubens are good! And I need to stop eating. I don't have time to work out anymore, so I really should not be eating in class. Everything is full fat, which is not helping. Ick. I feel gross.

No comments: