Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Charcuterie

Monday we were in groups of four - whoops, Chef forgot me! And then when someone else remembered me, he misspelled my name. Oh well - it happens! I was with T., Nemo, and Whiskey.

Our menu was:
Summer Melon with Mint
Apricot Cherry Chutney
Whole Grain Mustard and Tarragon Sauce
Tourneed Spiced Potatoes
Marinated Jicama
Pickled Vegetables
Savory Crackers

I made the Apricot Cherry Chutney and Whole Grain mustard and tarragon sauce. We saved the food for tomorrow to practice building platters.

Here's the Apricot Cherry Chutney:
Sweat red onions and garlic, add cider vinegar, honey, orange juice, water, lemon juice, curry powder, coriander, apricots, and cherries and simmer over low flame until thickened. You want the sauce to coat the back of a spoon - but don't wait until it coats while it's heating. It will still be liquidy in the pot because it's so hot - pull it off the heat and allow it to cool and it will stick to the spoon.
This was really good. Sweet, but not overwhelming - you could still taste the vinegar.

This is the whole grain mustard and tarragon sauce:

This was really tangy - I just wanted to eat the whole bowl. But that might have made me really sick. And really fat. Since it's mostly mayo and sour cream... Mix equal parts mayo and sour cream, then mix in whole grain mustard, shallot, garlic, salt and pepper, tarragon, sugar, and lemon juice.

Lessons Learned:
We had a pop quiz tonight. Luckily it was open note. And we got back the other quiz, and I got an 18/20 on it. Sweet... I may pull off a B if I do well on the final practical - those days I was sick really hurt my chances for an A. That, and I don't really think I'll do that well on the practical.

No comments: