Thursday, October 16, 2008

Final Practical - a three day affair

Phew. We reach the end of Baking and Patisserie 2. While I love the work, and I ended up getting along with her individually, she wasn't exactly the friendliest. And I noticed that she doesn't even really pay attention - she is so used to yelling about certain things, it doesn't even matter if we are actually doing them - she yells anyway. It's like she's programmed to go off at certain points.












Oh! I finally figured out the macro setting on my camera, so I'm hoping my photos will look better. I hadn't been able to figure out how to do close-ups, but now I think I've got it.

For your pleasure, here my sweets are, up close and personal.

Carrot cake with marzipan carrot







Mexican Wedding Cookie







Fruit Tartlet







Brownie







Petit Four







Puff Pastry







Madeleines


















We also had to take a final, which I as usual did not study for. I think I may have pulled off a B.

For the practical, from what I remember, this is what she said.
The nuts for the mexican cookies were almost burned, but she liked it darker like that, but most customers wouldn't. She recommended that I taste my product even if I'm not much of a sweets person. Rico said again that my madeleines could be served at Starbucks - she said they are the exact color that they sell them. I got 22 -28 points on the treats, which was fine with me. By the third day, I was kind of done with the whole thing. I didn't really give much effort to the specific icing jobs.

Final thoughts:
All my chefs so far have told me "it's been a real pleasure" to have me in class when I go up for my final practical. I try to make an effort to talk to them, but it's not about sucking up - I actually really enjoy most of the chefs. Even the ones who shout. I'm a softie in the end. I really enjoy what I'm learning even if I don't plan on becoming a chef. Even with the late nights and how tired I am all the time these days, I love it. I'm going to be sad when it ends.
I learned a lot in this class - I really love this stuff. Even the details. I liked it better than the details for garde manger - it's just different for some reason.

Sorry for the delay with updating, everyone - I'm exhausted and my weekends have been really busy. I don't really have time to keep up with the posts. I'll get there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

these all look so very tasty, esp the carrot cake and the devil's food cake.

-sej