Friday, October 10, 2008

Dessert Presentation

Friday night we worked on plating desserts. We learned how to make tuile and sabayon.

To make tuile cream butter and powdered sugar, then paddle in egg whites, cake flour, and vanilla. Bake in 2-3 piece batches for about 3 minutes in a 300 degree oven. Must be shaped while hot - lay over a cup or a rolling pin, or shape in some other way. You can also spread it onto a silpat; this is called "marbeling."

Chocolate Mousse: This was my first and second one. The cookie you see sticking out is tuile.

Bavarian Cream:

I really liked my last one, but she pointed out, which made sense, that you don't want to tilt the bavarian cream because the fold makes it unattractive. But otherwise she said I had good ideas.

Lessons Learned:
Plating is fun, but I don't know that I have the best eye for it. I love art, but I don't have any training beyond junior high and photo in college.
I really enjoyed this activity - it's making me think I might be able to do my externship either in a restaurant under a pastry chef or a catering company.

No comments: