Saturday, December 20, 2008

China

Okay, so writing this post is making me crave these dishes. Seriously. I realize it's dinnertime, but don't these dishes look so good? I'm going to have to stop in HMart when I visit my parents tomorrow - I wouldn't buy seafood there, but I will for sure buy noodles, spices and vegetables there.



Pork and Ginger Potstickers
Dough: Mix flour and salt. Slowly add hot water to flour in 2 oz increments. Mix until a ball is formed and dough is not too hot to handle. On a floured surface, knead dough until it becomes a smooth, elastic ball. Place back in bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rest for at least 1 hour. Working on a floured surface with floured hands, roll out dough to form a long log 1 in in diameter. Cut 1/2 in. pieces and turn them over so the cut sides are facing up. Flatten with your palm and roll out thin using a rolling pin. The dumpling wrapper should end up about 3 inches in diameter.
Filling: Sprinkle cabbage with half the salt and let stand for 30 minutes. Place the cabbag on a clean dishtowel or cheesecloth and squeeze out any water. The dryer the cabbage the better. In a large bowl thoroughly mix the cabbage with ground pork, minced ginger, minced garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil and egg Cook 1 T to check seasoning. Reserve.
To put together: Put a tiny bit in the middle of the wrapper, and seal with water. Pinch all the air out - just like ravioli, this is key to them not exploding. Press fork tines into edge to make the pretty border.
Sauce: Soy, dijon, honey, sesame oil, minced giner, water, and minced scallion.

Mapu Dofu
Re-hydrate tree ear muchrooms in boiling water. Stir fry the minced ginger in oil and add minced pork and chili garlic paste. Then add scallions, tofu, peppercorns, soy sauce, sugar, and cornstarch. Drain the mushrooms. Deglaze with sake. Stir gently to coat.

Pork Fried Rice
Use day-old rice. Use a wok. Heat egg in oil, then take out. Fry pork 2 minutes, remove and set aside. Heat 1/2 T of oil in same wok. Add rice, mix well, toss in mushrooms and scallions. Add soy sauce. Add egg back in, break with rice. Add sprouts and sesame oil. Add pork back in, toss. Serve hot.
Yet again, I have another dish I don't have a recipe for. Shoot, I am only screwing myself, since I remember liking this - wish I knew how to make it again! Anyone have any ideas what it might be?
Lessons Learned:
I'm trying to increase my tolerance to "heat" in dishes - it's getting better, but I'm still a weakling compared to lots of people. But, now, I mostly just keep stuffing my face even if it burns because it just tastes so good. That's how it'll get stronger, right?

No comments: