Thursday, November 13, 2008

Veal

This day we plated Escaopes de Veau Marsala, Riz Blanc, and Asperges a l'Anglaise. Like my plating? Don't you want to eat it? This is a really good veal dish.


Begin cooking rice - just plain rice - 1 part rice to 2 parts water. This gets easier each time I make it.
-Pound veal cutlets flat to 1/4 inch thickness. Season then dredge in flour.
-Heat a large saute pan, add oil, and fry cutlets to desired doneness (about 30 sec per side). Remove and keep warm
-Discard oil and add shallots to hot pan (10 seconds)
-Deglaze with Marsala (au sec) and add thyme and stock
-Simmer until nappe, remove herbs
-Monter au beurre and adjust seasoning
Meanwhile, cook asparagus - blanch them. So simple! Season vegetables by heavily salting the water, not the vegetables themselves.

We also made Blanquette de Veau.
I don't know why I don't have a picture of this, but it might be because it looked so disgusting. When I turned it in, Chef asked me how it tasted, and I said I didn't know because I don't really like cream-based dishes, and have no schema (ha! psych! education!) for what they are supposed to taste like. He says I need to get over it - but he doesn't know I don't plan on being a chef, and so don't really need to get over it...
-Blanch cubed veal
-Put blanched veal in pan with enough white stock to cover, add bouquet garni, onion pique, and salt
-Bring to a boil, skim foam, lower to simmer until tender about 90 minutes
-Meanwhile, prepare white roux and reserve
-Make liaison by whisking yolk and cream together in bowl. reserve
-When veal is tender, remove and keep covered. Strain liquid through a chinois and discard the garni and onion
-return stock to saucepan and reduce, whisk roux into reduced stock in small amounts (this is a veloute)
-In a new pot, temper liaison into sauce: temper 1/2 veloute, stir, temper other 1/2. stir constantly
-return meat to sauce
-season with a few drops of lemon juice, nutmeg, salt and white pepper

Lessons learned:
An onion pique is an onion pierced with a clove and bay leaf. We were making such a small serving of the veal that we only used a quarter of an onion, but I would imagine if you use a whole onion, you would pierce it with more than one clove

No comments: